Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


Today I celebrated Memorial Day by spending a few hours at Fresno Memorial Gardens where three of my Grandfathers are buried. My Mom's Father, James Orvel Odom, fought in World War II and his Father, Clarence Hillery Odom, fought in World War I. My Dad's Father, Reverend Huey Anderson Smith, is also buried there. Although I don't recall him being in a world war, he spent his life as a minister of the gospel and as a child growing up my Grandma would tell me things they went through as they traveled and my Grandpa evangelized. It seems that back then there was a war against Christians even here in the U.S. so technically he fought in a different kind of war. Also there were my Mom, Gary (my brother), two of my Mom's sisters Debbie and Lori, and my Mom's cousin (my second cousin, of course) Kathy. I took several pictures but the one above is one of five that actually turned out good. I would like to also give honor to my Dad who served time in the Army and to my other family members and friends who have served time in the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment